Ziel Feldman, Nir Meir accused of fraud over $30M loan

Posted On May 12 2021 by

first_img Tags Avishai Abrahami with Ziel Feldman and Nir Meir, and 500 Bailey Ave, Buffalo, NY; 707 Spence Lane, Nashville, TN; 1100 Milwaukee Avenue, South Milwaukee, WI (Getty, Google Maps, NY Supreme Court/Illustration by Alexis Manrodt for The Real Deal)The legal troubles continue for HFZ Capital Group’s Ziel Feldman and its former principal Nir Meir: Another lender has sued the developer and his one time colleague, accusing the pair of fraud and breach of contract.Israeli tech magnate Avishai Abrahami, who founded Wix.com, filed a complaint Tuesday in New York State Supreme Court, alleging that in September 2020, Feldman and Meir pledged HFZ’s equity interest in three buildings as collateral for a $30 million loan from him — only to find out later that the same properties had been used as collateral for a different lender.HFZ pledged the equity interest in those buildings — located in New York, Tennessee and Wisconsin — to both Abrahami and Chicago-based Monroe Capital, according to the complaint. HFZ obtained its interest in the buildings in a partnership with Westchester, New York-based industrial investment firm Reich Brothers.ADVERTISEMENTRead moreHow HFZ became the face of Manhattan’s condo woes Storage Wars: HFZ Capital battles to save tenants’ stuff from auction Judge rules against Nir Meir in HFZ’s $19M default case Full Name* Message* Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email Share via Shortlink Following UCC foreclosure proceedings on at least part of HFZ’s industrial portfolio, Monroe purchased HFZ’s interest in the buildings at an auction in December 2020 — interests that Abrahami says belonged to him.In the complaint, Abahrami’s lawyers accuse Feldman and Meir of “fraud and intentional misrepresentation” in connection with the loan. Abrahami wants the court to enforce a so-called “good guy guarantee,” signed in September 2020 by Feldman and Meir, making them personally liable for the loan. Good guy guarantees, which make individuals personally liable for debt held by a business, are meant to dissuade guarantors from reckless financial dealings.Abrahami is asking the court to make Feldman and Meir personally pay back the loan and accrued interest — a total of $33.6 million — in accordance with the original agreement.Attorneys representing Abrahami, Feldman and Meir did not immediately respond to requests for comment.In December, Feldman took over day-to-day management of HFZ from Meir. A spokesperson for Meir said at the time he remained a “vested partner” in the firm, which he co-founded with Feldman in 2005. But in a lawsuit filed earlier this month, the Feldman accused Meir of stealing $15 million through fraudulent credit card reimbursements and wire transfers. The lawsuit also noted that Meir was terminated when the extent of his “malfeasance for his personal benefit” came to light.And a New York judge recently ruled that Israeli auto industry magnate and art collector Yoav Harlap could go after Meir for $18.5 million in loan debts, with Feldman saying his signature on the loan was forged and that Meir signed without proper authority. In March, CIM Group alleged that HFZ still owed it $48 million after the lender took control of four Manhattan condo conversion projects.Contact Orion Jones Email Address* Share via Shortlink foreclosuresHFZ Capital GroupReal Estate FinanceReal Estate Lawsuitslast_img read more


Colombia Stands in Solidarity with Haiti

Posted On Dec 20 2020 by

first_imgDiálogo: What is your message to the citizens of Haiti? Adm. Santamaría: It is incumbent upon us and upon all partner nations to reach out. We are here to contribute what we can in order to support you and to somehow emerge [from this disaster] and continue this journey of life. — U.S. SOUTHCOM PAO Update on the U.S. Military Hurricane Matthew relief in Haiti: – As of Oct. 12, Joint Task Force-Matthew helicopters have delivered more than 255,000 pounds of relief commodities (aid and supplies) to areas devastated by Hurricane Matthew. – More than 400 task force personnel and 12 helicopters are on the ground in Haiti. – The amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) is scheduled to arrive in Haitian waters today. Iwo Jima brings more than 500 Marines from the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, aircraft — including four MV22 Ospreys — and 225 pallets of supplies to support the relief effort. Mesa Verde will transfer aircraft, equipment and associated personnel assigned for relief efforts to Iwo Jima. By Geraldine Cook/Diálogo October 12, 2016  The vessel ‘ARC 7 de Agosto’ arrived in Haiti on October 11th, after traveling 660 nautical miles for 50 hours from Cartagena, Colombia. Designed to carry out such operations as patrols, maritime traffic control, search and rescue missions, peacekeeping operations, and environmental control, the ship has a helicopter, rescue team, and humanitarian aid aboard. Admiral Leonardo Santamaría Gaitán, commander of the Colombian Navy, spoke with Diálogo on October 11th about the solidarity that Colombia is showing for Haiti. Adm. Santamaría mentioned that the vessel dropped anchor in Port-au-Prince with 56 crewmembers, eight doctors, 21 members of the Colombian Navy’s Ground Search and Rescue Unit, and six members of the helicopter crew.Diálogo: What kind of aid did the Colombian Navy’s ‘ARC 7 de Agosto’ vessel take with it to Haiti? Admiral Leonardo Santamaría Gaitán, commander of the Colombian Navy: What we are providing is basically a first wave of support. The ship arrived in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, just this morning. There are 22 tons of aid aboard, comprising food and toiletries. Practically, this is what our sister country of Haiti needs most right now. Parallel to this are the vessel’s capabilities, as well as those of a humanitarian assistance search squad. We also have a helicopter aboard, with the capacity for search and rescue missions and all the equipment necessary to do so. In addition, we also have an interceptor motorboat to help provide the assistance required right now.The vessel is also capable of carrying 40,000 gallons of water, while the onboard desalination plant is able to produce 1.5 tons of water a day. This is being coordinated with the Haitian authorities. At this moment, we are beginning to unload part of the humanitarian aid, while our available personnel are providing medical care. Diálogo: Why is it important for Colombia to stand in solidarity with Haiti? Adm. Santamaría: This is essentially a situation which no country in the Caribbean basin is exempt from. At some point, our island departments of San Andrés and Providencia were also under Hurricane Matthew’s threat.This is the part, I believe, that is natural: it is normal for sister countries to support each other in the face of emergencies and situations that impact our populations. It is almost an obligation our countries have to assist and accompany each other during these calamities. Diálogo: How does being able to support the Haitian population make you feel? Adm. Santamaría: As commander of the Colombian Navy and as a person, I think it’s very satisfying to be able to see the commitment of our sailors, the tremendously fast readiness of the ship, the ability to fine tune all of the vessel’s systems and capabilities –from the aerial component to that of the reaction boats and humanitarian assistance squad– in record time. It’s very satisfying to be able to show our Navy’s capabilities, that we are able to deploy in a very fast, timely manner as part of a multinational force, in a way that employs direct bi-national coordination with a sister country that needs help. Diálogo: What message would you like to send to the countries of the region and the world so that they might also support the Haitian people in this time of need? Adm. Santamaría: This is a greeting that is linked to cooperation, to becoming a part of this event of coordinated support, verifying which needs are the most urgent. This way, we can organize them in a very efficient manner in order to be able to best meet the needs of this sister country as it suffers through this disaster.Diálogo: How has the role of the Colombian Armed Forces evolved its national and international reaction to natural disasters and providing humanitarian assistance? Adm. Santamaría: This is a role that has always existed and, in one way or another, has been activated to a great extent over the last few years. The international role of humanitarian assistance and of participation in multinational operation in the fight against transnational crime and in humanitarian aid has improved greatly. We have received support from the U.S. government in training our personnel. We have participated in Operation Atalanta, which sought to counter international crime in the form of pirating off the Horn of Africa. We have received support from partner nations such as Spain, which allows us to show that we are, in a way, a much more mature Navy. We can perfectly align ourselves with and adapt to these multinational forces, which, of course, allows our Navy to be much more efficient while supporting these kinds of humanitarian assistance missions.Diálogo: What would you consider the most important challenge the Colombian Navy has regarding the humanitarian aid it offers other countries? Adm. Santamaría: The challenge we have experienced while working on this issue has been the importance of being able to collaborate, being able to participate with the means and resources that are available. [We have had to think about] how we can combine each country’s capabilities, so that they can be united while facing these needs. [We have pondered] how to overcome these, as I call them, “poverties” – that is, the different possibilities, capabilities, or resources of each country – in an organized, efficient manner and as a multinational task force in order to be much more efficient and to be able to be in an optimal position to provide the attention, assistance, or support that other countries might need. We are committed to this. The Colombian Army is working to continue to train its personnel and continue to be associated with these types of operations that show, in one way or another, the evolution our country has had in this type of participation.Diálogo: What lessons has Colombia learned in terms of managing natural disasters and in its humanitarian aid efforts? Adm. Santamaría: One of the most important points is the need to be organized and to have adequate planning, because you can’t necessarily provide support if you don’t really know what is needed. Extremely clear coordination is required in order to see what the person or country that requires the aid truly needs, what actual support would somehow allow those needs to be met with actual capacities, and to avoid suddenly ending up being a distortion of the support that was intended.last_img read more


Shafer discusses red-zone issues, shoots down bowl-game implications

Posted On Sep 17 2020 by

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse leads the Atlantic Coast Conference with 12 red-zone field goals. The Orange also has more touchdown-less red-zone trips than any other team in conference.SU has only reached the end zone 10 times out of its 27 chances in the red zone — a touchdown percentage of 37.04, third worst in the Football Bowl Subdivision.Efficiency in the red zone will be amplified this weekend when Syracuse (3-4, 1-2 ACC) hits the road to take on No. 21 Clemson (5-2, 4-1) on Saturday at 7 p.m. The Tigers boast the best red-zone defense in the ACC, holding opponents to points on 66.7 percent of red-zone possessions, and a high-flying offense that isn’t easy to keep up with.“It’s not frustration. It’s just, ‘Go to work,’” SU head coach Scott Shafer said on the ACC coaches’ teleconference Wednesday morning. “You’re trying to come up with more touchdowns rather than field goals.“So you go to work, you put your head down and be diligent about the process and you move forward. You try to turn that tide in the second half of the season.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textFortunately for SU, Cole Murphy’s emergence as a reliable starting kicker over the struggling Ryan Norton has allowed the Orange to come away with points in the red zone 81 percent of the time.Still, penalties and poor execution inside the 20-yard line have been inescapable demons for Syracuse throughout the entire season.“I think if you sit there and overthink things that are uncontrollable, that’s when you get in trouble and you create anxiety,” Shafer said. “We’d rather be stressed about practice and the things that we can (control) and get better at them and work on that stress as opposed to having some sort of mental anxiety that you have no control over.“Go to work and just keep pounding until you get to the point where you feel good that you’re turning field-goal opportunities into touchdowns. Simple as that.”Shafer was then asked if he thinks his team can reach a bowl game without improving its severely below-average red-zone touchdown percentage.“That’s not a very good question,” Shafer responded. “You make a bowl game if you win enough games and that’s what we’re going to bust our ass to do.” Comments Published on October 22, 2014 at 2:48 pm Contact Phil: [email protected] | @PhilDAbblast_img read more


Simon Bazalgette confirms he will step down from The Jockey Club

Posted On Aug 30 2020 by

first_imgShare EFL announces that all non-Sky Sports fixtures will be available to stream August 27, 2020 GVS targets ‘equine support’ with new finance service August 18, 2020 Related Articles Share Submit StumbleUpon QPR names Football Index as new shirt sponsor August 21, 2020 Simon Bazalgette, group chief executive of The Jockey Club, has confirmed that he will be stepping down from the role at the end of the year in a transition towards a non-executive career. Bazalgette, who has been with The Jockey Club for over a decade, has recently been named as an independent non-executive director on the EFL Board, replacing his non-executive role at the London 2017 World Athletics and Para-Athletics Championships, where he was Senior Independent Non-Executive Director.He also holds the position of a Trustee of the Ragged School Museum and a Member of the NSPCC’s Sports Board.Simon Bazalgette, Group Chief Executive of The Jockey Club, commented on the announcement: “The Jockey Club is a fantastic, purpose-led organisation full of talented and experienced people, so this has been a really hard decision for me to make.“When appointed a little over ten years ago I agreed to do at least five years before going non-executive, but there’s always been plenty to do and great opportunities that have kept me fully engaged. On the back of our tenth set of record results, and with a great team in place, now seemed the right time to make my transition. I’ll be standing down as Group Chief Executive by the end of the year, but I do hope to stay involved in a non-executive or advisory role.“In my opinion, The Jockey Club is blessed with the best management team in British sport, supported by a strong Board and governance structure, and my executive colleagues and our hardworking teams have been instrumental to what’s been achieved across Jockey Club Racecourses, Jockey Club Estates, The National Stud and Racing Welfare in recent years, which I’m sure will go from strength-to-strength.”The announcement comes swiftly after the announcement of another successful financial performance from The Jockey Club, with reports of a £27.1m contribution to British Racing’s prize money in 2018. The results demonstrated a tenth consecutive year of commercial growth under Bazalgette’s leadership.The Jockey Club’s Board of Stewards will oversee the recruitment process, with advice being offered from talent advisory firm, SRI.Roger Weatherby, Senior Steward of The Jockey Club, added: “Simon Bazalgette has made an outstanding contribution to British Racing as The Jockey Club’s first ever Group Chief Executive.“He has played a pivotal role in major achievements for our sport, including revolutionising racing’s media rights value, vital Levy Reforms, nearly 100 days of free-to-air coverage with a dedicated major broadcaster in ITV; and most importantly the ability for The Jockey Club to make record contributions to prize money and investments in our facilities around the country on the back of strong commercial performance.“He has assembled a first-class executive team and we will now begin a process to ensure his successor builds on the very robust foundations that Simon has laid.“We are keen that The Jockey Club and Racing does not lose the significant knowledge and expertise that Simon has, and so we very much hope that he will continue to be involved in some way into the future.”last_img read more