Islamophobia, Anti-Muslim Backlash & Domestic Terrorism

Posted On Dec 18 2020 by

first_imgIn Texas, armed protesters congregated near a mosque under the auspices of stopping the “Islamization of America.”In Pittsburgh last week a Moroccan cab driver was shot after a passenger complained about ISIS.The door of a mosque in Pflugerville, Tx was covered in feces and verses from the Koran were ripped from its spine.In Cincinnati, a woman wearing a hijab was the victim of verbal attacks. Another woman in the same city was called a “terrorist” and nearly run over by an enraged driver before a group of people intervened and pulled her safely onto the sidewalk.In St. Petersburg, Fla. authorities are investigating a profanity-laced threat directed at an Islamic Center.A community forum in Spotsylvania County, Va. devolved into an anti-Muslim shouting match when a local engineer attempted to share designs of a new mosque to residents amid racist condemnations that “every Muslim is a terrorist” and “Muslims is evil!” Yet, in this country, it’s domestic terror that’s shattering lives.On Friday, three people, including a beloved police officer, were killed during a five-hour long siege at a Planned Parenthood healthcare facility in Colorado. The alleged gunman’s motive remains unclear, but multiple news outlets have quoted an unidentified law enforcement source as saying the suspect mentioned “no more baby parts” in an interview with authorities. Law enforcement officials in Colorado have yet to confirm if a reference to fetal tissue was ever made. But Planned Parenthood suggested in a Tweet that the attack was politically motivated, and its supporters have characterized the shooting as an act of domestic terrorism.We now know the man responsible for the tragic shooting at PP’s health center in CO was motivated by opposition to safe and legal abortion. — Planned Parenthood (@PPact) November 29, 2015Similarly, Black Lives Matters protesters in Minnesota said they too were victims of domestic terror, when five people taking part in a demonstration were wounded amid gunfire. “We are tired of your (expletive) and I (expletive) personally have a militia that is going to come down to your Islamic Society of Pinellas County and firebomb you and shoot whoever is there in the head,” a man said in a voicemail left for Islamic Center of St. Petersburg in Florida. “I don’t care if they are (expletive) 2 years old or 100.” It’s that same fear of reprisal—for merely adhering to a religion that extremists have bastardized to justify unfathomable bloodshed—which Muslims have dreaded since 9/11. An absolutely horrific demonstration of Islamophobia in the U.S. https://t.co/wMFZD6n7Ci— INSIDER (@thisisinsider) November 27, 2015 Tonight, white supremacists attacked the #4thPrecinctShutDown in an act of domestic terrorism. We need you here…Posted by Black Lives Matter Minneapolis on Monday, November 23, 2015center_img Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York More than two weeks have passed since explosions and gunfire erupted in the streets of Paris, and the world remains transfixed on how gun-toting extremists were able to evade dragnet security before wreaking havoc on the City of Lights, killing 130 people.In the United States, the threat of terror has dominated the nation’s politics in an already bitter presidential campaign season. Presidential hopefuls seeking the GOP nod are flexing their muscles at the self-declared Islamic State in Iraq as well as at war-weary Syrian refugees fleeing the very same apocalyptic extremists these bellicose White House aspirants have pledged to defeat.Those vying for the nomination have chastised President Obama for failing to do enough to weaken ISIS. Driven by fear of the unknown, politicians have publicly come out against Obama’s plan to welcome 10,000 Syrian refugees into the country, despite the already rigorous, multi-layered screening process that already exists. Meanwhile, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) said the United States should adopt a “religious test” so only Christian refugees would be permitted to enter the country, and Donald Trump has set his sights on Muslims at home, suggesting all Muslims carry IDs and be surveilled at mosques.The billionaire real estate magnate also claimed he saw “thousands” of Muslims in New Jersey celebrating the destruction of the Twin Towers on Sept. 11, 2001—a claim that has been debunked over and over by New Jersey’s elected officials and his fellow Republican challenger, Gov. Chris Christie.Either @realDonaldTrump has memory issues or willfully distorts the truth, either of which should be concerning for the Republican Party— Steven Fulop (@StevenFulop) November 22, 2015Aside from ISIS and Syrian refugees, it’s the millions of Muslim Americans—doctors, lawyers, professors, shop owners—who bear the brunt of rhetoric emanating from the stump, where the truth is often drowned out by grandiose proclamations, fist pumping, and enthusiastic roars from a sympathetic audience—an exercise in democracy that candidates from both parties enjoy. But since the Paris attacks, the backlash against Muslims in America has been swift and disturbing. Four men have since been charged in connection with the shooting. Authorities in Minnesota said some of the men were filmed making derogatory comments about blacks and one man’s cell phone contained “racist images.”“They refer to African Americans in derogatory terms, say they are going to do some ‘reverse cultural enriching’ and ‘make the fire rise,’” according to a criminal complaint released in the case. In the video shot before the shooting, one of the men is seen brandishing a handgun and proclaiming: “Stay White.”The most severe terror attack on domestic soil this year was in Charleston, S.C., where a gunman attending Bible study at a historic black church in June gunned down nine God-loving people. Investigators later found photos of the alleged suspect posing with a Confederate flag and wearing South African apartheid-era patches on his clothes. A manifesto purportedly penned by the suspect paints a portrait of a man unhappy with progress made by African Americans over the years.Since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, right-wing extremists have killed more people (48) than radical Jihadists (26), according to terror statistics compiled by Washington D.C.-based New America Foundation.A report released by the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Response to the Terrorism at the University of Maryland in July 2014 found that the chief concern among local authorities across the country was the right-wing “sovereign citizens” movement, not Islamic extremism, which ranked lower.Despite the growing body of data, domestic terror has gone largely unmentioned by Republican contenders on the presidential campaign trail. Talk of potential attacks on US soil has been aimed mostly at Muslim Americans, despite Islamic groups across the country continuing to condemn atrocities in the name of their religion that 1.6 billion people follow around the world. One Muslim leader on Long Island said a week after the attacks that the Islamic State is an “illegal state” and does not represent Islam.Trump recently lamented New York City’s decision to disband NYPD’s so-called Demographics Unit, which spied on Muslims in the five boroughs, New Jersey and on Long Island. When the unit was active, however, it did not open a single terrorism investigation on local Muslims.Muslims groups and their supporters insist that anti-Muslim sentiment and negative comments about Syrian refugees only plays into extremists’ hands.“We as Muslims strongly condemn these un-Islamic actions,” Dr. Isma Chaudry, president of the Islamic Center of Long Island, said one week after the Paris attacks. “This is not Islam. ISIS is not Islam. Muslims are not violent, barbaric people. This is a small group of criminals and we, by dividing ourselves, are making them big.”last_img read more


Ministry offers partial refund to registered pilgrims after cancelling haj

Posted On Oct 19 2020 by

first_img“We will process their requests [for a refund] and submit them to the BPKH in accordance with the predetermined [process],” Muhajirin said in a statement received by The Jakarta Post on Wednesday, referring to the Haj Fund Management Agency. Registered pilgrims may apply for the refund by submitting an application to the heads of local haj offices in their regency or city. They must also submit the original bank receipt for their final haj payment, copies of their bank book and identity card, and an active phone number.The haj domestic services directorate and the BPKH would process all verified applications and then transfer the refund to the registered pilgrim’s bank account. “The process is expected to be completed in nine days,” said Muhajirin. The Religious Affairs Ministry has announced that people who had registered for this year’s haj program may request a refund of their deposit, after the government cancelled this year’s haj on Tuesday due to concerns over COVID-19 transmission.However, those registered for next year’s haj program may not request a refund of their initial deposit, only a refund of the final balance they had paid for their haj trips.The ministry’s domestic haj services director, Muhajirin Yanis, said that at least 58 pilgrims had requested a refund, while 198,765 pilgrims from 13 “batches” had finished paying for their haj trips. Read also: ‘It’s impossible’: Indonesia holds firm on haj cancellationIn cases in which a registered haj pilgrim has died or has a permanent health condition, the haj ticket would be transferred to the pilgrim’s next of kin for next year’s program.Muhajirin said that the ministry would work with religious counselors and its partners on the haj and umrah (minor haj) guidance group to disseminate information on the new refund policy.Indonesia, the largest Muslim-majority country in the world, sends hundreds of thousands of pilgrims to Saudi Arabia to fulfill their long-awaited haj obligation. As many as 221,000 pilgrims had originally registered for the government’s haj program this year.The Saudi government has granted Indonesia the largest haj pilgrim quota among participating countries, it also has the longest waiting list, with registered pilgrims waiting an average 17 years until they actually depart on their haj.Saudi authorities have announced that both the haj and umrah, which attract millions of Muslim pilgrims from around the world, will remain suspended until further notice.Topics :last_img read more


Lakers notes: Pau Gasol happy to stay put with team

Posted On Aug 26 2020 by

first_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error As if he unleashed the pent-up frustration stemming from three years’ worth of trade scenarios that never materialized, Pau Gasol stayed on the Lakers’ practice court showing off an array of post moves against a defenseless dummy.But as Gasol “murdered” the dummy as he joked afterwards, Lakers trainer Gary Vitti approached him with some somber news apparently delivered from Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak.“Mitch wants to see you,” said Vitti. But considering Gasol remained on the practice court well past the Thursday’s trade deadline that expired at noon PST, Gasol didn’t fall for the joke.“He’s been trying to have fun with it the last couple of days,” Gasol said, smiling. “It’s all good. We’re family here.” Kobe upset over Blake tradeKobe Bryant remained forever grateful for the Lakers front office granting him a two-year, $48.5 million extension even before his left Achilles tendon was fully healed. Even amid a season assured of a missed playoff appearance for the first time in nine years, Bryant expressed optimism last week that the Lakers would quickly reload during the upcoming offseason.Yet, Bryant appeared upset the Lakers traded Steve Blake to the Golden State Warriors for two seldom-used shooting guards in Kent Bazemore and MarShon Brooks, a move that saved the Lakers $4 million in salary and luxury taxes.“Not cool with @SteveBlake5 being gone AT ALL,” Bryant tweeted. “One of my closest teammates and psycho competitor. GS picked up gem.”Injury updateLakers guard Steve Nash sat out Thursday’s practice because of nerve irritation in his back and remains day to day. Lakers forward Nick Young partcipated in some of Thursday’s practice, but his status against Boston remains unclear. center_img Despite the Lakers dangling him in trade discussions for the third consecutive season, Gasol said he holds “no grudges or hard feelings.”“That’s what I preferred, to continue to play with our team and fight through this type of season,” said Gasol, who believes he will play tonight when the Lakers (18-36) host the Boston Celtics (19-36) at Staples Center after nursing a strained right groin that sidelined him for the past seven games. “Through adversity, you have to grow as a person.”Kupchak said “it’s absolutely an option” that the Lakers will re-sign Gasol when he becomes a free agent on July 1. But Kupchak added that it’s “unlikely” the Lakers will sign him to an extension beforehand because the Lakers want to maintain financial flexibility.Gasol also suggested he’ll have other options, too.“I’m pretty confident there will be,” Gasol said. “It’ll be nice to be in that position at least for a few days. Then I’ll be back in somebody else’s hands.”last_img read more


Arizona Cardinals defensive end Kareem Martin 96

Posted On Aug 11 2019 by

first_imgArizona Cardinals defensive end Kareem Martin (96) sacks St. Louis Rams quarterback Austin Davis to cause a fumble for a touchdown during the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Nov. 9, 2014, in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin) Derrick Hall satisfied with D-backs’ buying and selling Former Cardinals kicker Phil Dawson retires “I just wanted to go out there and do everything right. Have my right angle, have good get-offs, setting edges because this is a zone team—they hit the edge,” he said of the Bears, “and get after the passer standing on the edge and I felt like I accomplished that.”Martin, 25, has made plays in all three of the Cardinals’ preseason games. He had three tackles and a pass defensed in the Hall of Fame Game and then registered a half-sack and tackle for loss last week against Oakland.Martin is playing how he’s practiced, according to head coach Bruce Arians.“He’s been outstanding,” Arians said recently. “He’s another guy that kind of became our best special teams player. His pass-rush skills as his strength has gotten better. For him, standing up, that took some time having always played with his hand down. But, he’s got that length and he’s got a couple of good pass-rush moves now so, yeah, he’s earning his stripes.”A defensive end in college, Martin, who stands 6-foot-6 and weighs 272 pounds, transitioned to outside linebacker in 2015, after his rookie year. In the two seasons since, he’s made 16 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 29 games.“My pass rushing and just having overall confidence in myself to go out there and complete the task,” he said, referring to his progress. “This being my third year now at the position, I feel so much more comfortable doing every thing that Coach Bob (Sanders) and Coach (James) Bettcher ask me to do in the defense, and that’s the biggest thing when you’re playing outside backer because there’s so much to do.” The 5: Takeaways from the Coyotes’ introduction of Alex Meruelo Top Stories Besides Martin, the other outside linebackers in training camp looking for playing time behind Golden and Jones are Alex Bazzie, Cap Capi, Jarvis Jones and Terrence Waugh. Jones is the only one with an NFL resume, though, having played the past four seasons in Pittsburgh. But Jarvis Jones has been dealing with a back issue, keeping him on the sidelines for much of camp.In other words, Martin appears to be the clear front-runner to be that third outside linebacker.“He is right now,” Arians said. “Jarvis isn’t practicing, so he’s winning that job.”It would be quite the story: from special teams standout to key contributor defensively. It’s a story Martin hopes is written in 2017.“The biggest thing is just make an impact, on special teams and hopefully being that guy on that third down sub package to be able to rush the passer with my guys out there. That’s the biggest thing,” he said. “That was my goal coming in, to be able to get in that third-down package. I’m trying to showcase it in camp and in the games that I can be out there and be dependable, be that third guy they can depend on.”Follow Craig Grialou on Twitter GLENDALE, Ariz. – With Markus Golden on one side and Chandler Jones on the other, the Arizona Cardinals are set at outside linebacker; and perhaps for quite some time. Golden is 26 and eligible for a contract extension after this season, while Jones, 27, was just rewarded with a five-year deal back in March.But those two, who had a combined 23.5 sacks last season, can’t play every snap of every game; and often a third linebacker is used on the outside, especially in obvious passing situations. That third backer was Alex Okafor in 2016. He, however, departed in the offseason, signing a free-agent contract with the New Orleans Saints.The most likely player to step into that role in 2017 is Kareem Martin.“Definitely that’s the goal,” he said, following Saturday’s preseason loss to the Chicago Bears. “We got two great pass rushers in Markus and Chandler, so hopefully I can take over that spot that Okafor left here and continue what we had last year to be the top outside linebacker sack leaders in the NFL.”Against the Bears, Martin nearly had a sack and perhaps would’ve if it weren’t for a botched snap by center Taylor Boggs. Quarterback Mark Sanchez recovered the football and Martin, in on the play immediately, was credited with a one-yard tackle for loss.“I felt like if he didn’t fumble the ball I would have had a cleaner hit on him,” Martin said. “I felt like I had a good get-off. I jumped the snap it felt like, got around the edge. I beat the guy a few plays earlier so I knew I was going to be able to run around him and he just happened to fumble that when I was lucky to get my hands on him.”It was another solid effort by Martin, who also recorded a quarterback hit during his 19 defensive snaps. 1 Comments   Share   Grace expects Greinke trade to have emotional impactlast_img read more


Mylan Ranks No 2 In Executive Pay Among Drug Companies Far Outpacing

Posted On Jul 22 2019 by

last_img