Indiana utility to close all coal plants by 2028 FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Northwest Indiana Times:NIPSCO has a tentative plan to retire its entire coal-fired electricity generation fleet in the next decade, with the majority of its coal-fired generators to be retired in the next five years. The company made the announcement Wednesday at the fourth of five public meetings detailing the development of a new Integrated Resource Plan for the utility.Renewable sources of energy, including wind and solar, along with battery storage, will likely replace its use of coal, according to the company.NIPSCO retired the two coal-fired generators at its Bailly Generating Station along Lake Michigan earlier this year, as part of a plan to reduce its coal-fired generation by half by 2023. That left five still in use.Four coal-fired units at the R.M. Schahfer Generating Station in Wheatfield will be retired no later than 2023, and the one unit at the Michigan City Generating Station by 2028, if the plan is carried out. The Schahfer plant also has gas-fired “peaking units” that ensure a consistent flow of electricity during peak times. The move to retire its 1,800 megawatts of coal-fired generation “will significantly accelerate carbon reductions across the NIPSCO footprint,” the company said in announcing the plan. The reduction will be quicker and of greater magnitude than previously announced targets, which had only included retirement of two of the four Schahfer generators in addition to the Bailly retirement.[NIPSCO President Violet] Sistovaris said advancements in technology and changes in the energy market are the primary drivers of the change in plans. “Retiring our aging coal fleet sooner will cost substantially less compared to our original plans for extending retirements over a longer duration,” she said.More: NIPSCO plan would eliminate coal-fired electricity generation within 10 years
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have announced they are in talks with Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire and Ghana over for friendly matches against World Cup-bound Super Falcons.The move according to NFF general secretary Sanusi Mohammed is to help put the African champions in shape for next month’s World Cup in Canada.“We are in talks with Cameroon, Ghana and Cote d’ Ivoire for a possible friendly for the Falcons,” Sanusi said.“You know they were supposed to play Mali at the weekend, but Mali pulled out in the last minute. So we now have to arrange friendlies for the team before they depart for Canada.”Sanusi who confirmed that the Falcons will head out to Canada on May 19, added that, the NFF are also planning friendlies for the team while they are in Canada. “The team departs for Canada on the 19th, God’s willing. While in Canada, we are making arrangements to see that they play friendly matches also,” he said.The Super Falcons are in what has been tagged the ‘Group of Death’ with USA, Sweden and North Korea at the 2015 World Cup.