Ameren Missouri Kicks Off ‘Renewable Choice’ Customer Initiative FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享St. Louis Public Radio:In a couple of years, Missouri cities and corporations could be receiving more electricity from wind power as Ameren Missouri ramps up its wind power facilities. The utility filed a proposal with the Missouri Public Service Commission on Monday to give its largest customers the opportunity to participate the Renewable Choice Program, which would supply them with electricity from wind power. Ameren Missouri generates 100 megawatts of its electricity supply from wind, but in September, it announced plans to add 700 more megawatts of wind to its portfolio — which is roughly equivalent to serving 200,000 homes. If plans are approved by state regulators, Ameren hopes to make the program available and have new wind power facilities online by 2020. “Our customers are looking for choice to meet their sustainability goals. They can procure renewable energy through Ameren as opposed to trying to acquire it themselves,” said Ajay Arora, Ameren Missouri’s vice president of environmental services and generation resource planning. The company also announced in September that it aims to cut its 2005 emission levels by 80 percent by the year 2050. Arora said the utility is focusing primarily on wind because of rising customer demand for renewable energy and increasing affordability of wind power. “Wind technology has improved pretty rapidly and has become highly efficient,” Arora said. “So that’s really reduced prices for wind energy when combined with federal incentives for the technology.” The state of Missouri also requires all major utilities to generate 15 percent of its energy portfolio from renewable sources by 2021; Ameren Missouri is currently at 5 percent.More: More wind energy on the horizon for Ameren Missouri’s corporate and municipal customers
Skandi BotafogoSubsidiaries of Norwegian shipping company DOF have been awarded vessel contracts by Nexen and Petrobras. DOF ASA said on Tuesday that its subsidiary, DOF UK Limited, won an 18-month contract from oil company Nexen for the Skandi Barra platform supplier. The contract is scheduled to start in April.The Skandi Barra is an MT 6000 MK II design platform supply vessel. The vessel joined the DOF fleet in 2005 and had been mostly working on contracts in the North Sea. The Skandi Barra is 85.7 meters long, 19.7 meters wide, and can accommodate 24 people.The second contract was awarded to Norskan Offshore for the Skandi Botafogo anchor handling tug and supply vessel (AHTS). The one-year contract for the vessel, estimated to start in early June, was awarded by Petrobras.Skandi Botafogo is an 80-meter-long, 18-meter-wide anchor handling tug supply vessel built in 2006. It is capable of accommodating 40 people.It is worth mentioning that DOF and its subsidiaries have recently won a handful of contracts. Namely, DOF won deals for the Skandi Foula, Skandi Rona, Skandi Feistein, and Skandi Saigon vessels as well as a deal with Nexen for the support of the COSLPioneer rig hook-up operations.Furthermore, DOF Subsea won contracts in the Atlantic region for the Skandi Neptune, Geosund, and Skandi Constructor vessels as well as a four-year global frame agreement for the provision of survey and positioning services on third-party vessels.Finally, Two DOF ASA subsidiaries won contracts for the Skandi Commander vessel and one ROV.Offshore Energy Today Staff
Credit: USGS An earthquake with a magnitude of 7.3 rocked Venezuela and several Eastern Caribbean islands on Tuesday.The powerful earthquake hit eastern Venezuela at 5:31 pm and was felt in Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Grenada, Barbados and St Vincent and the Grenadines.The Trinidad based Seismic Research Center (SRC) said the earthquake had a depth of 73 kilometres, and its position in Venezuela at 55 km east southeast of Carúpano, 95 km northeast of Maturín, and 131 km southeast of Porlamar.Initially it was reported that the earthquake had a magnitude of 6.8 but that was later upgraded to 7.3.Seismologist at the SRC, Dr Joan Latchman has cautioned residents of the region that aftershocks from the strong quake could be expected for days to come. Another earthquake is also possible, she said late Tuesday.Structural damages but no casualties There have been early reports and images posted on social media of structural damage to buildings, severe cracks in floors, parking lots and roads, and of goods falling from grocery-store shelves. But there has been no reports of casualties.Witnesses reported seeing and feeling their homes, and even some of the contents, shaking when the quake hit.Speaking in a Facebook live video about an hour after the quake occurred, Latchman said there would be more tremors, noting that up to that point there had been at least seven aftershocks.“…Most of which you would not feel, but we can have an earthquake of this magnitude…and we expect that we can have an earthquake in the 5.0 to 5.9 magnitude range and this can happen within hours. Going by what we have seen in the past, within three to five hours we would not be surprised, or tomorrow, or sometime this week,” she said.“There is no formula for us to tell you when the aftershocks will occur. We were just looking at patterns of the past to guide.”Despite initial reports to the contrary, there was no tsunami threat from the earthquake.