NZMA: Voting ‘no’ in the cannabis referendum

Posted On Sep 27 2020 by

first_imgCannabis referendum: Four experts weigh up the pros and cons of legalising marijuanaNewsHub 9 August 2020Family First Comment: Do we listen to drug advocates who want to normalise all drugs…. or to medical professionals who are health and patient-focused? Pretty simply answer eh.Dr Kate Baddock – chair of the New Zealand Medical Association, a pan-professional medical organisation representing the interests of doctorsThe NZMA holds the position that the social, psychological, and physical harms of cannabis are real and relevant, and does not support the legalisation of cannabis based on those harms.The social harms of cannabis include particularly the reduction in academic performance in younger people so that they underachieve educationally, and amotivational syndromes that are seen with continued prolonged use, affecting adults’ ability and motivation to work. Cannabis also affects the ability to drive safely through psychomotor effects slowing coordination and reaction times and increasing the risk of accidents. Cannabis and driving can be a fatal combination.The psychological harms include impairment of thought processes, such as the organisation of complex information, short-term memory and executive processes. There is some evidence that these changes are not reversed on cessation of cannabis use, so cognitive function once lost cannot be regained.Other psychological impacts include changes in mood and paranoia, anxiety, or panic. The association with the development of psychosis is well-recognised, although the strength of the causal relationship has been widely debated. There is also the risk of cannabis dependence (CAD) which appears to be related to a blend of unique environmental and shared environmental characteristics, and genetic propensity.READ MORE: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2020/08/cannabis-referendum-four-experts-weigh-up-the-pros-and-cons-of-legalising-marijuana.htmllast_img read more


The Latest: Mass. governor OKs pro sports without fans

Posted On Sep 18 2020 by

first_imgThe 22-year-old forward tested positive upon his return. The club says he does not have symptoms and is in self-quarantine.St. Gallen says Babić has not had contact with his teammates.Attention on Serbia’s rising number of coronavirus cases followed Novak Djokovic and three other tennis players testing positive at a tournament he organized in Serbia and Croatia last month.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The cut to baseball comes after the program was recently reinstated. The school announced in 2017 that baseball was being added after it had been discontinued following the 1980 season. The 2020 season was Boise State’s return, but the Broncos played only 14 games before the season was canceled.The school said all scholarships for athletes in the affected programs, including incoming 2020 signings, will be honored.___Finishers of the virtual Boston Marathon will receive their medals in an Amazon package instead of having a volunteer drape it around their necks on Boylston Street.Race organizers announced plans for the event on Thursday. Runners will have from Sept. 7-14 to complete the 26.2-mile distance and submit proof. There is no time limit, but it must be completed in one continuous run. The All England Club says it will donate 200 portions of strawberries to workers on the front line of the coronavirus pandemic every day.The club says more than 26,000 strawberries that would have been used for Wimbledon are being prepared by staff for delivery.Wimbledon says it is a “small gesture of appreciation for the dedicated service of the NHS during what would have been The Championships Fortnight.”Wimbledon was canceled this year for the first time since World War II because of the pandemic. The tournament had been scheduled to start on Monday.The link between Wimbledon and strawberries is muddy but the main theory has to do with timing. Strawberry season in Britain just happens to coincide with the tennis tournament. On Thursday, a day before the team was scheduled to hold its first workouts, weights and exercise equipment were set up in the concourse to allow players to work out with more social distancing than the usual cramped facilities would allow.Masked grounds crew members worked to get the field ready.Baseball suspended spring training in March because of the coronavirus outbreak and delayed opening day. The players and owners agreed last month to try again, with teams reporting for workouts on Friday and the first games of a 60-game schedule to be played in empty ballparks on July 23 or 24.Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker was at Fenway on Thursday to sign an order allowing the Red Sox to open the ballpark without fans as the state launches Phase 3 of its reopening plan.___ The Latest: Mass. governor OKs pro sports without fans New York Mets hitting coach Chili Davis will continue working remotely when the team’s summer camp opens Friday.The New York Post was first to report that the 60-year-old Davis won’t be on site at Citi Field for the beginning of practices because of concerns about the coronavirus.“The timeline for him to join us is uncertain yet,” new Mets manager Luis Rojas said on a video call Thursday.The Post, citing anonymous sources in its report, said Davis does not have the virus.Rojas said all other coaches and players have reported for intake screening. Assistant hitting coach Tom Slater will substitute on site for Davis, who lives in Arizona during the offseason. Associated Press The French Tennis Federation has written on Twitter that tickets will go on sale to the general public on July 16. The FFT did not give more information as to how many fans will be allowed at Roland Garros for the Sept. 27-Oct. Oct. 11 tournament.The clay-court tournament had been scheduled to start on May 24. It then got postponed to Sept. 20 because of the coronavirus pandemic and then pushed back another week.The FFT has prepared a health and safety protocol to ensure the safety of fans.___West Indies cricket coach Phil Simmons has mixed with his squad again in Manchester after passing his latest test for the coronavirus. Also included in the post-race package will be a participation shirt, a program, a bottle opener and other unspecified celebratory items.The virtual race is open for those who had already registered for the real one, which was scheduled for April 20 and then put off until Sept. 14 before it was canceled. The cost to register for the virtual race is $50.The Boston Athletic Association says it is encouraging the more than 10,000 volunteers who had signed up to give back to their communities in another way. They can receive their volunteer jacket or donate it to a front-line worker.___The French Open will be held with fans when it starts in September. The statement says both had no symptoms and that they were in self-isolation in the Serbian capital since testing positive 10 days ago.Djokovic was the fourth player to come down with the virus after participating in matches held in Belgrade and Zadar, Croatia. The others were three-time Grand Slam semifinalist Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki.___Swiss soccer club St. Gallen says a player tested positive for coronavirus after visiting family in Serbia.The Swiss league leaders say they allowed Boris Babić to make the two-week trip while recovering from a serious knee injury. Simmons returned from his father-in-law’s funeral last week and had been self-isolating in his hotel room at Old Trafford.He had been watching the team’s intrasquad match from his balcony but was allowed to interact with his players after passing a third consecutive virus test.The first test against England starts on Wednesday.___The cancellation of the Wimbledon tennis tournament has led to a “berry” big boon for health care workers in London. “I think we’re going to get the best of Chili whether he’s with us at the start of camp or whether he’s working remotely. I mean, we’re in constant communication. Chili and I practically talk every day and he’s in communication with the coaches,” Rojas said. “So he’s going to be helping us. He’s a great asset, he’s got great knowledge, great experience. He helps the players with hitting, with playing the game. He helps the coaches as well with his view of the game. So he is going to be working remotely and we’re going to feel his presence.”___Boise State is cutting its baseball and women’s swimming and diving programs as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.The program cuts, along with additional department and program operating reductions, will reduce the overall athletic budget by nearly $3 million.“This is one of the hardest decisions athletic departments have to make, but it comes at a time when we are facing the most serious financial challenge we have ever seen,” Boise State athletic director Curt Apsey said in a statement Thursday. July 2, 2020 Cream is optional.___Novak Djokovic says he and his wife have now tested negative for the coronavirus.The top-ranked player tested positive for the virus after playing in an exhibition series he organized in Serbia and Croatia with zero social distancing amid the pandemic.His media team says “Novak Djokovic and his wife Jelena are negative for COVID-19. That was shown by the results of the PCR tests that both had in Belgrade.” Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Boston Red Sox are getting ready to open their spring training reboot at Fenway Park.last_img read more


Focus and rebounding to lead SU into Big East play against Marquette

Posted On Sep 17 2020 by

first_img Published on January 4, 2013 at 6:34 pm Contact Trevor: [email protected] | @TrevorHass Related Stories Freshman Sykes puts explosiveness on display, scores 20 points in Syracuse’s rout of Boise StateWBB : Syracuse defense fuels win over Boise State despite subpar shooting performance Facebook Twitter Google+center_img Ever since Syracuse ended last season 6-10 in Big East play, Carmen Tyson-Thomas has yearned for a chance at redemption.This year, in her senior season, the forward wants to go out with a bang.After helping to ignite the Orange to a strong start during nonconference play, Tyson-Thomas will get that chance. Syracuse (12-1) looks to open Big East play with a win against Marquette (8-5) at the Al McGuire Center in Milwaukee at 8 p.m. Saturday. Tyson-Thomas and Kayla Alexander have thrived in Big East play in past years, and this year they’re looking to lead SU to the NCAA tournament by staying focused and continuing to dominate the boards.“Since this is my last season, I’m just ready for that stiffer competition,” Tyson-Thomas said, “Getting to play the people I’ve been playing these last few years. All of us are on our toes.”The elusive NCAA tournament birth that Tyson-Thomas has coveted since joining the Orange is in reach. But in order to earn it, she said SU has to avoid getting caught up in the big picture; instead, it has to focus on nuances that separate great teams from good teams.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“Our focus is always taking one step at a time and getting one ‘W’ at a time,” Tyson-Thomas said. “We’re ready to play.”The Golden Eagles are Syracuse’s first conference test, an up and down team this season.Marquette lost to Georgia Tech on Nov. 18, a team Syracuse beat in overtime five days later. In early December, the Eagles lost three in a row to Wisconsin, Green Bay and Toledo. They needed overtime to thwart South Dakota St. and barely held on against Fordham.Since the three-game losing streak, though, Marquette has whipped off four in a row in better form.Syracuse guard Elashier Hall knows teams like Marquette are tougher to play against because of their strength and endurance. She said the coaching staff has prepped Syracuse on how to not only keep up with, but also beat these trickier teams consistently.“Running the floor, pressing,” Hall said. “We’ve done stuff like that before, but just to get our endurance up, because the Big East is bigger and faster and they run harder. We have to do more of that.”Syracuse hasn’t faced any dominant centers up to this point, and Alexander and Tyson-Thomas have dominated the glass with authority. SU is currently second in the Big East in rebounding at 45.7 boards per game.Marquette has four players 6-foot-3 or taller, including leading scorer and rebounder Katherine Plouffe. Head coach Terri Mitchell will likely utilize sporadic double teams on Alexander and mix and match various lineups to keep her off the glass.Despite the Golden Eagles’ size, though, Hall said she, Alexander and the rest of the Orange will be up for the task, citing rebounding as a staple of the program.“No. 1, boxing out,” Hall said. “In previous years we’ve been No. 1 in rebounding, so we have to get back to that. Definitely box out. We definitely are the biggest and strongest.”Syracuse has used that clear advantage on the glass to put together a consistent performance to start the season, with the team’s lone loss coming against Temple.Since that loss, SU has won its last five games by an average of 29.6 points. The Orange most recently thumped Boise State on Sunday by a score of 87-48, outrebounding the Broncos 47-30.Alexander has been virtually unstoppable for SU thus far, averaging 19.5 points, 8.4 rebounds and 3.6 blocks per game. Smaller defenders have looked helpless in the paint while Alexander muscles her way for ceaseless easy buckets.“She’s been excellent so far,” head coach Quentin Hillsman said. “I think she can get deeper post position, but she’s been great.”Like fellow seniors Tyson-Thomas and Hall, Alexander is psyched to be immersed in conference play for the final time. The two-time all-Big East selection aims to help the Orange leave the Big East with some pizzazz and earn a spot in the NCAA tournament.“I’m looking forward to it,” Alexander said. “I want this to be a big year for us. Seeing that it’s my last year here, I want to go out with a bang. Hopefully we can keep it going.” Commentslast_img read more


Mr Green’s Redbet brand to migrate to Kambi sportsbook

Posted On Aug 30 2020 by

first_img StumbleUpon Kambi takes control of Churchill Downs BetAmerica sportsbook August 28, 2020 Related Articles Share Kambi and DraftKings agree on final closure terms July 24, 2020 Kambi and Mr Green have signed an extension to the parties previous agreement, adapting a new multi-year service deal relating to the latter’s recently acquired Redbet brand, which is to integrate the Kambi sportsbook.Strengthening a relationship formed in 2016 when Mr Green launched its Kambi powered sportsbook, the fresh understanding provides the sports betting technology and software supplier with an added revenue stream, via the added provision of services to Redbet.Set to switch from its current supplier SBTech in favour of a Kambi powered offering, technical integration is expected to be completed sometime during Q3 later in the year.Kristian Nylén, Chief Executive Officer of Kambi, said: “I’m delighted to have signed this extended deal with Mr Green, and happy to welcome its Redbet brand into the Kambi network after being selected ahead of its current supplier.“Mr Green has been successful leveraging the Kambi technology to develop unique and differentiated sports betting experiences, and I look forward to Redbet benefiting in similar fashion.” On 18 December of last year Mr Green agreed the €7m (£6.2m) purchase of Redbet’s previous owner Evoke Gaming, encompassing further brands which fell under its banner, including Vinnarum Casino, Bertolt, MamaMia, all of which are focused primarily on the Nordic region.It was announced that the deal was completed in Q1 of this year (2 February), with this deal standing Mr Green out as being the latest operator to commit to Kambi provisions for the long term.  Jepser Karrbrink, CEO of Mr Green LTD, commented: “In Kambi we have a supplier which gives us the control and freedom to follow our own strategic path, and create bespoke sports betting experiences for our players.“As such we are happy to sign this contract renewal, [and] we also look forward to Redbet being on the same platform as Mr Green, enabling us to increase efficiency in our Sportsbook operations while offering different user experiences, reflecting the two brands Mr Green and Redbet.” Submit Share Kambi takes full control of LeoVegas sportsbook portfolio August 26, 2020last_img read more