Joshua, Klitschko Agree on Las Vegas for Rematch

Posted On Sep 17 2020 by

first_imgJoshua is expected to face Klitschko again after his thrilling stoppage victory at Wembley in April, and is waiting for a final decision from the Ukrainian about their planned second fight, which is likely to take place in November.Promoter Hearn held recent negotiations with Klitschko’s manager Bernd Boente and believes the 41-year-old could be tempted by a world title fight in Las Vegas. “I have been in talks with Bernd Boente and the team,” Hearn told Sky Sports News HQ. “We’re getting close now to identifying the real options in terms of venues and locations.“Vegas has taken a little bit of a frontrunner in those. I know the British fans would love to do a trip out there for Joshua-Klitschko.“Nigeria is still in the mix, Dubai as well, and of course Cardiff. But like I said, Vegas has probably got its nose in front at the moment.“I think in the next week, we’re looking to present all those opportunities to Wladimir Klitschko and his team. Speaking to Bernd Boente this morning, I feel like it’s going to take that special event to make this fight.”Hearn hopes a final decision will be made in the next fortnight about the venue for the fight.“I would like to keep it in Britain,” said Hearn. “The fans have been incredible to Anthony Joshua, but if it means travelling to make sure this fight happens for world boxing, and it means taking a few plane loads to Las Vegas for a night and an experience they won’t forget.“Anthony Joshua is the world heavyweight champion, he’s not the British heavyweight champion. He wants to break boundaries and so do we.“To see Anthony Joshua’s name up in lights on the Las Vegas strip is certainly something that appeals to us all.“Yes, I would say the next couple of weeks, we’ll be looking to make a decision in terms of the venue and location.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Promoter Eddie Hearn has revealed that Las Vegas has become the “frontrunner” to stage Anthony Joshua’s proposed rematch with Wladimir Klitschko.last_img read more


Argentina must lift game for ‘genius’ Messi against France

Posted On Jan 6 2020 by

first_img0Shares0000Jorge Sampaoli says Lionel Messi needs help from his teammates © AFP / CHRISTOPHE SIMONKAZAN ARENA, Russian Federation, Jun 29 – Coach Jorge Sampaoli has called on Argentina to lift their game to the level of “genius” Lionel Messi when they look to seal a World Cup quarter-final place with victory over France on Saturday.The tone of Argentina’s so far ragged bid for the title was set when Messi missed a penalty in the shock opening 1-1 draw with Iceland. The 31-year-old Barcelona great was then virtually invisible during a chastening 3-0 defeat to Croatia that exposed weaknesses in Argentina’s defence and a lack of potency in attack.It took a great touch of control, following a superb pass from teammate Ever Banega, for Messi to finally open his account in Russia in the 2-1 win over Nigeria only sealed by Marcos Rojo’s 86th minute volley.Despite Messi’s problems in the tournament, under-fire Sampaoli suggested his teammates had to give “the best player on earth” as much help as possible.“Leo has such clear vision when it comes to football that he allows us to see things that, sometimes, only a true genius sees,” said Sampaoli.“It’s often difficult to be at the level of such a great player. He’s a shining light for us all, and we have to do our very best to all try to be at his level.”Sevilla midfielder Banega claimed Messi has now hit his stride.“It’s only normal – he wasn’t relaxed, we didn’t start the tournament as well as we should have.“Now, I see him a lot more comfortable now. He helped us win, and that makes a big difference.”But with Portuguese rival Cristiano Ronaldo racing ahead in the scoring charts on four goals so far, and England’s Harry Kane on five goals in just two matches, Messi risks finishing this World Cup with a whimper.France’s team, whose average age is 25, will be looking to awake from their recent slumber and Sampaoli, whose side’s average age is 30, underlined the danger of allowing the France to dictate play.As France look to underperforming striker Antoine Griezmann to lift his game, Sampaoli underlined a bigger threat in 19-year-old Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Kylian Mbappe, who struck France’s match winner in a 1-0 win over Peru, and 21-year-old Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele.“France are known for being fast, their solid passing and moving quickly from defence to attack, and we can’t let them use their speed against us,” he said.“They will try to make us make mistakes, and try to hurt us on the wings. If Dembele and Mbappe play, they will be very fast for sure.“The key, for both teams, will be the actual game of passing and football.“We have two completely different styles but I have faith we will impose our own style and dictate the pace and rhythm of the game.”But, he added: “Argentina will play an aggressive style of football, we’re going to attack from kick-off.“Accepting defeat would be very difficult for us.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more


Tory Islanders disrupted while cargo ferry is out of operation

Posted On Dec 22 2019 by

first_imgThe people of Tory Island have been inconvenienced this week after the Queen of Aran was temporarily taken out of service.The much-disputed ferry that began running in Spring 2018 has been docked at Magheroarty since Wednesday after a technical issue.It is believed that a rope from a lobster trap got caught in the ferry propellor this week and was later brought to the attention of the MSO Marine Survey Office. The ferry was soon repaired on Wednesday and is now due to undergo a routine MSO inspection. A temporary replacement boat, the Elsie Jayne, was brought in to accommodate passengers. The boat holds 12 passengers, but locals say this is not enough at the height of the summer season.“The Queen of Aran being out of action is impacting hugely on the businesses on the island. The boat was and is not suitable for Tory, which is why the people were protesting,” said one Tory resident.“People can’t get anything in unless they travel with it. If you want anything delivered you have to go to the mainland and bring it with you.”It is expected that the survey of the Queen of Aran will be completed soon, and it will return to regular operation.  The fast ferry has not been affected and is running twice-daily as normal. Tory Islanders disrupted while cargo ferry is out of operation was last modified: June 29th, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more