Parental leave extension bill ‘too costly’

Posted On Sep 27 2020 by

first_imgStuff.co.nz 29 April 2013Prime Minister John Key says parents will have to wait until at least 2015 before the Government considers extending paid parental leave, because it cannot afford to do it now. A One News-Colmar Brunton poll released yesterday showed 62 per cent of voters back a law sponsored by Labour MP Sue Moroney that would extend taxpayer-funded paid parental leave from 14 weeks to 26 weeks. The law change also appears to have enough support in Parliament to pass, but the Government has signalled it will use its veto power, which it can if a law would have a significant impact on the Budget. Today Key said bill would be blocked because of cost, which the Government estimates at $150 million a year, but said the leave would likely be extended eventually. “I think paid parental leave will increase one day, it’s just not today, because we just don’t have the money,” he said. “No one’s arguing it’s unreasonable but it’s all about affordability.” If the Government was to extend paid parental leave it would mean abandoning its target of reaching a fiscal surplus by 2014-15, or cutting spending elsewhere, Key told TVNZ’s Breakfast. “When we’re back in surplus and we’ve got choices, then I’m not at all ruling out paid parental leave … in terms of expanding it, it’s definitely something we’d like to do, but it’s about the timing of that issue.” Supporters of the bill dispute the Government’s estimates of the cost of the law change. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/8606915/Parental-leave-extension-bill-too-costlylast_img read more


Investigators believe Donegal dumpsite could be biggest in recent years

Posted On Dec 22 2019 by

first_imgInvestigators believe they have uncovered one of the biggest illegal dumpsites in recent years close to Manorcunningham.Earlier this week Donegal Daily revealed how an operation was taking place on land at Rossbracken close to the dual carriageway on the outskirts of Letterkenny.Members of Donegal County Council and the Environmental Protection Agency are conducting the search into what is believed to be the burial of thousands of tonnes of illegal waste It is now understood that the site has been under surveillance for more than three years with both CCTV footage and aerial photography used to build up a profile on the location.Donegal County Council has declined to comment on the operation but the EPA has confirmed an operation is underway at the site.As well as investigations on land at the centre of the investigation, further search licenses have been secured for adjoining lands.CCTV footage is believed to have identified a number of suspects involved in the illegal burial of vast amounts of household waste. Although Gardai have been at the site in recent days, we understood it is purely in an observational capacity.All information compiled as a result of the investigation at the site is expected to be passed on to the Department of the Environment as well as the Gardai.Investigators believe Donegal dumpsite could be biggest in recent years was last modified: November 18th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more