Heena Sindhu continued her rich vein of form this year as she bagged gold in women’s 10m Air Pistol event at Commonwealth Shooting Championships on Tuesday.Heena shot a score of 240.8 in the finals to beat Australia’s Elena Galiabovitch, who has to settle for silver after posting 238.2. Kristy Gillman of Australia picked up the bronze medal with a score of 213.7.Meanwhile, India picked up their second medal through Deepak Kumar as he won bronze in men’s 10m Air Rifle event.??Commonwealth Championships 10m Air Pistol:@HeenaSidhu10 wins Gold.PC:Aus Shooting.Full results will be updated at:https://t.co/oAEHr1RHbZ pic.twitter.com/OOE4CkXg9B- Olympic Press (@OlympicPressOrg) October 31, 2017Earlier, Heena and Jitu Rai joined forces to give India their first gold medal of the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup Finals as the duo clinched the top honours in the 10m Air Pistol mixed team event on the opening day of competitions at the Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range in New Delhi.
LONDON (AP) — Removing the record seventh FA Cup winner’s medal from his pocket, Arsene Wenger was gratified and yet apprehensive.“For once I have kept my medal,” said the Arsenal manager, who usually gives them away to staff members. “So that means it’s a special night for me.”And maybe his last night managing an Arsenal team.Even after beating Chelsea 2-1 in the final on Saturday, Wenger indicated he has to stew until Tuesday’s board meeting before discovering whether his 21-year reign will be extended by the record 13-time FA Cup winners.Owner Stan Kroenke told The Associated Press earlier in the season he remained “very high on Arsene.” Unsurprisingly, Wenger is anxious about publicly discussing whether he expects the north London club to offer a new contract.“I don’t think I can answer that question,” Wenger said, “at the moment.”Aaron Ramsey, who scored the winning goal to deny English Premier League champion Chelsea a double, certainly hopes there isn’t change in the dugout.“I’m happy for the manager,” Ramsey said on the Wembley Stadium pitch. “Hopefully he will be here next season.”Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez, right, scores past Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois during the English FA Cup final soccer match between Arsenal and Chelsea at the Wembley stadium in London, Saturday, May 27, 2017. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)The fan base certainly seems more divided, with Wenger bemoaning the “very hostile environment” created by some fans demanding his removal.“It’s down to the board members if I am the right man to lead this club further,” the 67-year-old Frenchman said. “It’s not about popularity, it’s about competence.”Perhaps more competent leadership would have cleared up far sooner whether Wenger was staying. Delivering the FA Cup three times in four seasons has papered over some of the cracks as Arsenal has repeatedly come up short in the Premier League and Europe.The Gunners were eliminated from the Champions League for the seventh consecutive season in the last 16. And they won’t even be back among Europe’s elite in September after finishing fifth in the Premier League; the lowest finish since Wenger took charge in 1996.“I am convinced we were hurt by the uncertainty about my future with the players,” Wenger said.And yet Arsenal still ended the campaign with a cup victory that Wenger puts on a par with his last Premier League success in the unbeaten 2003-04 season.Just as the season reached its climax, Arsenal turned in the type of tenacious display lacking so often, and against a side so commanding in the Premier League in Antonio Conte’s first season in charge.For once, this was a day when so much went right for Wenger, even with a patched-up injury-depleted defense featuring captain Per Mertesacker making his first start in more than a year.“We had outstanding performances,” Wenger said. “We know this team has suffered.”But the season has ended with a run of six victories in May after Wenger adopted the three-man defense that has served Conte so well, until now.“They showed strength and unity,” Wenger said, “and we played spectacular football again.”There was better luck, too.When Alexis Sanchez put the ball in the net after four minutes, it appeared to be initially disallowed because Ramsey was adjudged to be interfering with play while offside. But the decision by Anthony Taylor’s assistant was overturned by the referee.“Ramsey’s interfering,” Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois said. “If he doesn’t run to the ball, I can go out and claim the ball but now because he runs I stop and then Sanchez takes advantage.”And scored his 30th goal of the season.Arsenal even had the luxury of a man advantage from the 68th when Victor Moses received a second yellow card for diving. Somehow, though, Diego Costa managed to equalize in the 76th, bringing down Willian’s lofted ball on his chest and striking past David Ospina.Arsenal team manager Arsene Wenger, right, celebrates his team’s victory next to Chelsea team manager Antonio Conte, left, during the English FA Cup final soccer match between Arsenal and Chelsea at the Wembley stadium in London, Saturday, May 27, 2017. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)Rather than imploding, Arsenal was back in front within three minutes.On an afternoon when so much bucked the story of the season, double player of the year N’Golo Kante failed to track Ramsey, who was left unmarked to meet Olivier Giroud’s dinked pass back.“It’s been an up and down season,” Ramsey said, “but to finish it with an FA Cup has to be a successful season.”But it is the losers who still head in the offseason the most buoyant. Revitalized after the 10th-place league finish in 2016, Chelsea lifted the biggest prize in English football last week after winning 30 of the 38 games.“Maybe now we’re a bit sad, but we shouldn’t forget the amazing season we’ve had being (Premier League) champions,” Courtois said. “A lot of teams are waiting to be champions for very long, including Arsenal.”Instead, the FA Cup is the consolation prize again for Arsenal and Wenger.ROB HARRIS, AP Global Soccer WriterTweetPinShare0 Shares
Justin BrakeAPTN NewsThe Innu Nation says it will not accept an apology from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for Canada’s role in the residential school system in Labrador, APTN News has been told.Trudeau is scheduled to be in Happy Valley-Goose Bay Friday to make the apology in person.But the Innu leadership said the residential school system that saw children ripped from their families is too similar to the number of Innu children in the care of the province and living away from their families.“A lot of these kids that are outside of the communities are suffering a loss of identity, loss of culture and loss of connection to family,” said Innu Nation Grand Chief Gregory Rich.In fact, elders and community members told leadership not to even attend the apology, said Rich.Helen Andrew, 51, of Sheshatshiu spent seven years at the Yale residential school in North West River.“When I was taken from my parents in the 70s I was a little girl,” she said, adding two of her sisters were also taken. “There was sexual and physical abuse.”Andrew said when she finally got to go home she barely spoke her own language and her parents didn’t speak any English.“I was speaking part English and Innu to them so they didn’t understand,” she recalled.But Andrew believes the impact on her people started before the residential school era, when they were forced to settle where they are now in the 1960s.She said they were nomadic people who migrated with the caribou.“When we were told to settle here that had a great, devastating effect on our culture,” she said.Labrador was left out of former prime minister Stephen Harper’s 2008 apology. Canada maintained it did not have a responsibility to the students of the province’s five residential schools because Newfoundland and Labrador joined Confederation in 1949, after the schools began operating.Shortly after taking office, the Liberals settled a $50 million class-action lawsuit that the Harper administration had been fighting.The issue of Innu children in state care is the subject of an upcoming provincial inquiry that was announced July 6.The Innu Nation and province of Newfoundland and Labrador are currently working out the terms of reference for the inquiry.
Share your voice Amazon employees urge the company to take more aggressive actions on climate crisis. Alexander Pohl via Getty Images Amazon employees want the company to put more effort into fighting climate change.In an open letter to CEO Jeff Bezos and the company’s board published Wednesday, 3,541 Amazon employees ask the e-commerce giant to take more aggressive actions on climate change.”Amazon has the resources and scale to spark the world’s imagination and redefine what is possible and necessary to address the climate crisis,” reads the letter. “We believe this is a historic opportunity for Amazon to stand with employees and signal to the world that we’re ready to be a climate leader.”The staff members included a to-do list for Amazon in the letter. They asked the company to make a corporation-wide plan to reach 100% renewable energy in a timely manner, to stop selling Amazon’s cloud service to the oil and gas companies so they won’t expand fossil fuel extraction, to stop donating to regulators who vote against climate legislation and more. In response, an Amazon spokesperson said the company has launched several major and impactful programs and is “working hard to integrate this approach fully across Amazon.””Our dedication to ensuring that our customers understand how we are addressing environmental issues has been unwavering — we look forward to launching more work and sharing more this year,” the spokesperson said in an email. Tags Tech Industry Politics Now playing: Watch this: This isn’t the first time Amazon employees voiced their concerns over the company’s business conduct. Last June, the e-commerce giant’s staff wrote to Bezos to stop selling facial recognition technology to US law enforcement. They feared how the company’s Rekognition software would be used by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Department of Homeland Security in the current political climate. “In our mission to become ‘Earth’s most customer-centric company,’ we believe our climate impact must be a top consideration in everything we do,” wrote the staff. “We have the power to shift entire industries, inspire global action on climate, and lead on the issue of our lifetimes.”Originally published April 10, 11:13 a.m. PT.Update, 1:04 p.m. PT: Adds statement from Amazon spokesperson. 8 Amazon kills plans for NYC headquarters 4:00 Comments Amazon Jeff Bezos
Bangladesh Sadharon Chhatra Adhikar Sankrakkhan Parishad leaders and activists stage demonstration in Shahbag intersection demanding reform in existing quota system in public services.Quota protestors have suspended their decision to boycott exams, in consideration of Ramadan and the session jam following the quota reform strike.Addressing a press conference on Dhaka University campus, Bangladesh Sadharan Chhatra Adhikar Sangrakkhan Parisad (Bangladesh General Students Rights Protection Council) made this announcement on Saturday.However, they will continue boycotting classes until the a gazette notification is issued regarding reforms in the public service quota system, said Hassan Al Mamun Hassan, convenor of the Chhatra Parishad.The protestors have condemned harassment and abuse of students in different universities and colleges across the country and demanded that the authorities take immediate action against the accused, Hassan said at the press conference.“Certain ‘over-enthusiastic unscrupulous quarters’ are such instigating such violence to embarrass the government” he added.In reply to a question as to who these ‘over-enthusiastic’ quarters are, the joint convenor of the council, Nurul Haque said, quarters within Chhatra League are harassing the general students.“Anyone who believes in the ideology of Bangabandhu, will never act in this manner,” he said.Nurul Haque went on to say, “They are continuing with such violence because no action is being taken against them. This lack of action makes us wonder if they government is backing them.” Joint convenors of the council Rashed Khan and Faruk Hossain were also present at the press conference.
Food critics, bloggers and enthusiasts are in for a treat as they can witness the expertise of culinary geniuses along with getting a chance to explore various facets of Indian cuisine. Indian Culinary Forum along with the Hospitality First and ITPO hosted the ‘Culinary Art India 2016’ on Tuesday at Pragati Maidan. The event, which is a part of Aahar International Food and Hospitality fair, will see culinary exhibitions, competitions and live cooking contests apart from stalls of food products from around the globe being held at the venue. It is a platform to create awareness about the profession of chefs and felicitate the achievers. The five-day event will go on till March 19. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’The event has around 300 chefs exhibiting their skills under one roof and participating in various categories of competitions. All the jury members for the competitions are WACS (World Association of Chefs Societies) certified chefs and renowned food critics.Chef Shanli Ong Beng Yew from Malaysia, who is presiding as the chairperson of the jury, said, “We are evaluating the preparations on the levels of creativity of the chefs through taste, proportion and presentation of the dishes. First the eye appeal and then the taste matters, that is the whole idea of culinary art. So far I have seen that the young Indian chefs are very innovative and creative with their methods of cooking.” Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixThe event started with chefs showcasing authentic Indian regional cuisine. Other categories of competitions include artistic pastry showpiece, fruit and vegetable carving, petit fours and pralines, three-course dinner menu, three tier wedding cakes, plated appetisers and pralines, dress the cake, artistic bakery showpiece, plated desserts and mocktails.Chef Devinder Kumar, President, Indian Culinary Forum said, “The overall participation has increased this year. We evaluate them based on the merits and maintain total transparency. Only the best of the best are awarded for specific categories. It is also a very good platform for visitors, as they also get to see the latest trends in cooking.” The winners of the competitions will be announced on March 19, at the end of the event. Chef Lukesh Bajaj, one of the participants in the category of authentic Indian regional cuisine said, “North Indian cuisine is my specialty. I have put up two main courses, including vegetarian dishes and non-vegetarian dishes, rice, chapattis and two desserts-‘phirni’ and chocolate ‘gulab jamun’. I had a great experience participating in today’s competition.” Among several stalls of processed food and beverages were Tops, India Gate, and many foreign brands from around the world. The Aahar International Food and Hospitality Fair is not only a forum for exhibiting culinary skills but also a large platform for entrepreneurs and food brands to showcase their products and stimulate business-to-business and business-to-customers sales.