Indiana utility to close all coal plants by 2028 FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Northwest Indiana Times:NIPSCO has a tentative plan to retire its entire coal-fired electricity generation fleet in the next decade, with the majority of its coal-fired generators to be retired in the next five years. The company made the announcement Wednesday at the fourth of five public meetings detailing the development of a new Integrated Resource Plan for the utility.Renewable sources of energy, including wind and solar, along with battery storage, will likely replace its use of coal, according to the company.NIPSCO retired the two coal-fired generators at its Bailly Generating Station along Lake Michigan earlier this year, as part of a plan to reduce its coal-fired generation by half by 2023. That left five still in use.Four coal-fired units at the R.M. Schahfer Generating Station in Wheatfield will be retired no later than 2023, and the one unit at the Michigan City Generating Station by 2028, if the plan is carried out. The Schahfer plant also has gas-fired “peaking units” that ensure a consistent flow of electricity during peak times. The move to retire its 1,800 megawatts of coal-fired generation “will significantly accelerate carbon reductions across the NIPSCO footprint,” the company said in announcing the plan. The reduction will be quicker and of greater magnitude than previously announced targets, which had only included retirement of two of the four Schahfer generators in addition to the Bailly retirement.[NIPSCO President Violet] Sistovaris said advancements in technology and changes in the energy market are the primary drivers of the change in plans. “Retiring our aging coal fleet sooner will cost substantially less compared to our original plans for extending retirements over a longer duration,” she said.More: NIPSCO plan would eliminate coal-fired electricity generation within 10 years
January 12, 2018 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter GO-TIME: Commonwealth Saves Local Governments $1.8 Million Through Innovative Electricity Program Efficiency, GO-TIME, Government That Works, Innovation, Press Release Harrisburg, PA –Local governments, school districts and others will cut their electricity costs by $1.8 million over the next four years, thanks to COSTARS, a state purchasing program that allows members to purchase materials at discounted prices, said Ken Hess, deputy secretary for the Department of General Services.“One of the Wolf Administration’s priorities is to create a ‘Government That Works’ by adding or creating value for the customers we serve,” Hess said. “The Expanded Electricity Procurement Program has proven its value as a successful way for COSTARS members to reduce their electricity bills and generate savings for their local taxpayers.”The state’s cooperative purchasing program, or COSTARS, allows its members – including municipalities, public authorities, school districts, and certain non-profits – to use state-awarded contracts to purchase a large variety of materials and services at lower prices.Since 2009, a collaboration between the Department of General Services’ Bureau of Procurement and the Penn State Facilities Engineering Institute (PSFEI) has competitively bid and awarded contracts for more than 7,000 electricity accounts among state government and a limited number of COSTARS members saving $4 million annually through 2019.Last year, through the Public Utility Commission, PSFEI amended its electric broker’s license to expand the electricity procurement program to all COSTARS members.“With the success we have experienced in saving our COSTARS members millions of dollars on their electricity bills, we are looking to increase the participation at our next electricity bidding event in April,” Hess said. “The more COSTARS members that participate in each event, the better the opportunity for obtaining the lowest possible pricing.”To participate in the commonwealth’s next electricity bidding event in April, interested COSTARS members need to register with Scott Harford of PSFEI, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 814-863-2090 by March 31, 2018.The Expanded Electricity Procurement Program is part of the department’s broader efforts to save money on goods and services purchased by state government, which have resulted in over $140 million in savings over the last two fiscal years. Overall, state agencies have saved over $373 million through this and other initiatives through GO-TIME.For more information on COSTARS or how to participate in the program, visit COSTARS online.
(Reuters) – Militant group Boko Haram is “the worst enemy of Islam” and will be defeated because West African Muslims reject its violent actions and harsh interpretation of the Koran, Niger’s President Mahamadou Issoufou said on Friday.“There is nothing Islamic about Boko Haram,” Issoufou told students and faculty at the Harvard Institute of Politics John F. Kennedy Forum in Cambridge, Massachusetts, during a trip to the United States.“Abducting and raping women, killing innocent people, drinking human blood … these are not the most efficient ways of spreading Islam,” he said. “Boko Haram has no future, Boko Haram will be defeated, God willing.”Niger is taking part in a regional operation against Boko Haram in northern Nigeria, a militant group which has launched repeated bloody attacks and abductions in Nigeria and an increasing number of raids into neighboring countries. The military alliance includes troops from West African countries Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon, Chad and Benin.Issoufou said Niger’s mostly Muslim population broadly supported the alliance, which he said had notched recent successes fighting Boko Haram, and rejected Boko Haram’s attempts to carve out its own state in the border region.“The successes of this multinational force … can be explained not only by the fact that they are coordinating their information systems and operational forces, but more importantly by the fact that they are supported by the population,” he said.“It shows the population of our countries reject terrorism, reject extremism. The population of our countries reject Boko Haram as a Muslim organization,” he said.Niger, which is also stepping up security against traffickers and jihadi groups bolstered by weapons and fighters from Libya’s conflict to the north, is ranked at the bottom of the U.N. Human Development Index for 2013.Issoufou said he saw poverty as an important reason some people join militant ranks, but he said efforts to combat it have been hindered by fluctuations in donor support, rapid population growth and climate shocks.He said he had held meetings with the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank during his trip to discuss financing.Issoufou won election in 2011 in the uranium-producing country following a military coup that removed the previous president, Mamadou Tandja, widely criticized for overseeing rampant state-level corruption.Issoufou touts advances in transparency and press freedoms since coming to power, and is expected to seek re-election in mid-2016.