Build programme boosts employment in South Africa

Posted On Dec 18 2019 by

first_img19 March 2015Thousands of jobs had already been created through the New Build Programme, which is led by state-owned enterprises.And parastatals Transnet and Eskom were expected to invest billions of rand in infrastructure programmes in an attempt to create an enabling environment for private sector investment. It was anticipated this would bolster localisation and support small- and medium-sized enterprises.This was the upshot of a progress report from the Department of Public Enterprises, which was briefing Parliament on the impact of the build programme as far as support to small businesses, skills development, job creation and beneficiation was concerned.Matsietsi Mokholo, the department’s acting director-general, said the programme had also helped the government to address infrastructure backlogs that had hindered investment in the economy.“The state of our electricity, ports and rail infrastructure is a clear sign that there has not been enough investment in our infrastructure and we have had to play catch up. The [New] Build Programme has been helping us do just that.”Eskom to create jobsSince 2005, Eskom has been expanding its electricity generation and transmission capacity to meet the country’s growing demand for energy. In his State of the Nation Address in February, President Jacob Zuma said the security of the electricity supply was a catalyst for growth and job creation.Makgola Makololo, the department’s chief director responsible for energy, said Eskom had contributed to its developmental mandate through the creation of direct and indirect jobs. Direct jobs were created in the power utility’s business environment, while indirect jobs resulted from contractors servicing Eskom, especially through the build projects.“Over the past three financial years, Eskom suppliers have committed to create 7 000 jobs and retain 700 jobs when they are awarded a contract,” she said. “As a direct result of Eskom business in the New Build projects, there were 24 251 jobs created by suppliers in Medupi, Kusile, Ingula and Power Deliver Project at the end of December 2014.”Eskom had set a target to create more jobs through the New Build Programme in its corporate plan – 16 334 in the 2014/15 financial year, 8 317 in 2016, 4 750 in 2017 and 2 000 in 2018.Makololo spoke to MPs about Eskom’s contribution to industrialisation. There had been a significant impact on local development as a result of the New Build Programme through the Competitive Supplier Development Programme [CSDP], which encompassed the supplier’s investment in manufacturing facilities.“Three major New Build vendors – Hitachi, Alstom and Voith Siemens – have committed to a target value of R1.4-billion in terms of local development plans. These commitments are specific to the Boiler and Turbine as well as the Generator Packages.“Since the inception of the [CSDP] in June 2008, the total actual investment in plant by Eskom’s supplier network has been R1.12-billion, which is 82% of the R1.37- billion committed value over the life of the respective contracts,” Makololo added.Transnet on track to create half-a-million jobsTransnet, in its strategy to contribute to skills development, job creation, localisation, empowerment and transformation, aims to roll-out a capital investment programme over a seven-year period.Kgomotso Modise, the department’s deputy director-general responsible for transport, said that while investments would be made in ports and pipeline infrastructure, with the vision of moving freight from road to rail, the bulk of investment would be in rail.Most of these projects would be fast-tracked as part of Operation Phakisa, the model introduced in June 2014 to fast-track the delivery of services. In its first two phases, it concentrates on the ocean’s economy and on building clinics.Transnet aimed to create a million jobs by 2022, she said. “Transnet will create approximately 540 000 direct and indirect job opportunities over the next seven- year period. Through the build programme, procurement spend will be leveraged to increase localisation and therefore maximise job creation.“In addition, it is also expected that another 480 000 job opportunities will be induced through Transnet spend.”With an overall investment of R1-billion a year to be spent on training over the next seven years, Transnet would train 3 000 artisans and 1 600 engineers.Source: SAnews.govlast_img read more


South Africa’s macro-economic environment is resilient and we are open for business

Posted On Dec 18 2019 by

first_img• Our prudent fiscal management and monetary policies have created macroeconomic stability.• According to the World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Index 2015/16, South Africa improved by four places to stand at 85 out of 140 countries in terms of its macro-economic environment.• South Africa is a competitive business and investment destination.• The country recently climbed seven places to take a spot in the top 50 out of 140 countries in WEF’s Global Competitiveness Index.  South Africa stands at number 49.• South Africa is also ranked fourth out of 54 African countries in the Ibrahim Index on African Governance.• Changing global economic conditions will necessitate the strengthening of our policy framework to ensure we can respond effectively.• South Africa is cognisant of the impact of the falling commodity prices, on our economy.   The weakness in commodity prices is a concern for major commodity exporters such as South Africa. The fall in commodity prices is unlikely to reverse and will have a sustained impact on emerging market economies.  This will serve as an impetus to prioritise the further diversification of our economy away from an over-reliance on commodities.• The depreciation of the rand occurs within a broader international context which is currently characterised by a fair amount of turbulence• The implementation of the National Development Plan (NDP) remains the cornerstone of our economy.• The NDP is supported by the Nine-Point plan for economic renewal.• In supporting the NDP government is acting to alleviate the most binding constraints to growth and has set out a series of urgent economic reforms to build a more competitive economy. These include:1. Continued investment in economic infrastructure2. Reforming the governance of the State Owned Companies, rationalising state holding and encouraging private-sector participation3. Expanding the independent power producer programme4. Encouraging affordable, reliable and accessible broadband access5. Promoting black ownership of productive industrial assets6. Finalising amendments to the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act (2002), and continuing dialogue with the industry; and7. Reviewing business incentive programmes in all economic sectors to ensure that resources support labour-intensive, job creating outcomes.Operation Phakisa is a national response to unlocking constraints to economic growth and development.last_img read more


Social Services Minister Gives Summary of Ministry

Posted On Sep 17 2019 by

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, June 21, 2017 – Nassau – The Minister of Social Services and Urban Development the Hon. Lanisha Rolle provided an overview of the agencies that fall under her purview in her contribution to the ongoing Budget Debate in the House of Assembly, Thursday, June 15, 2017.Minister Rolle outlined the ministries and services including the Ministry of Social Services proper, the Department of Social Services, the Department of Rehabilitative Services, the Department of Gender and Family Affairs, and the Department of Urban Development.Parliamentarians were also given a summary of the nine divisions managed by the department of Social Services and committed to enhancing delivery of service to reflect respect, courtesy and high performance. The divisions are: Childcare Facilities, Children and Family Services, Community Support Services, Disability Affairs Division, Family Island Division, Health and Social Services Division, School Welfare Division, Senior Citizen’s Division, Community Affairs Division and Department of Rehabilitative Services.The Ministry of Social Services and Urban Development is currently restructuring the operations of Urban Renewal to direct attention to the development of inner-city spaces and the environment under the new “Inner-city Revitalization Project” said Minister Rolle.According to Minister Rolle this is in keeping with the Government’s mandate to strengthen the Ministry’s relationship with governmental and non-governmental agencies, to achieve the goals under Urban Renewal and to advance its projects.“We intend to operate a program that is budget friendly, quality based and people oriented. There will be within this period a transformation of identified inner-city areas, an intensive mass clean-up campaign, entrepreneurial and employment opportunities, as well as the enhancement of special projects such as the Urban Games, Urban Band and Competition and Basketball Tournaments among a few others,” said Hon. Rolle.Consideration is being given to the implementation of the Urban Cadet Corps, a club designed to impart discipline and community consciousness in which youth are prepared to be guardians of the nation’s future.Minister Rolle remarked that the elderly comprise other targeted groups for the Ministry.“It is these individuals who built this country and laid the foundation for our families: it is those grandfathers who engaged contracts on projects abroad in order to send monies back home to take care of families during the troubling economic periods of our development,” said Minister Rolle.“We owe our seniors a debt of gratitude, and Social Services and Urban Development will do its part to pay its portion on behalf of the many Bahamians who can now enjoy the suburbs because of the price and sacrifice of those who paved the way for us and endured the toil and struggles inherent in the urban life.”Moreover, Minister Rolle announced that the Department is reviewing the possibility of carrying out remedial work to assist seniors and the disabled who have suffered roof damage as a result of the passage of Hurricane Matthew.“I think it is incumbent upon this Minister to make it abundantly clear that I did not say we are considering repairing homes, or replacing washrooms, or building additional rooms onto the house, or giving young people who can work, priority in this exercise.“We have a small budget unless or until we receive generous donations; and therefore we are considering patch work to ensure that vulnerable individuals among us are properly protected from the rain especially as we are now in the hurricane season.”She announced plans to secure a facility to house an Urban Library and Research Center to ensure that children of all ages have access to books and information necessary to competently sit national examinations.Consideration is being given to hosting Old Folk Tale Story-telling Time at the centers to assist with cognitive development of the aged and to teach history and social studies to young people.Furthermore, Minister Rolle informed Parliamentarians that if adequate funding is secured, it is the Ministry’s intention to conduct remedial home repairs within this budgetary period; however, she emphasized that the Commission cannot commit to building homes or paying for the clearing of land that individuals clear down and request Urban to pay for.“If Urban did not approve the clearing down and receive financial clearance prior to the clearing down, there is no way and certainly there are no funds in this budget to accommodate such potential misuse of the public’s funds,” said Minister Rolle.In addition to a request for legislation to govern its function, Urban will have a new face, outlook, and organizational structure.#magneticmedianews Related Items:last_img read more


Google sued by shareholder alleging sexual misconduct coverup

Posted On Sep 10 2019 by

first_imgGoogle’s board of directors and executive leadership have been accused of covering up allegations of sexual harassment against former executives. Getty Images A Google shareholder has filed a lawsuit against the company’s executive officers and board of directors, alleging the company concealed sexual misconduct allegations against former executives.The lawsuit, filed by shareholder James Martin, stems from hefty severance packages Google reportedly gave executive Andy Rubin, the creator of the Android mobile operating system, and Amit Singhal, head of Google’s search unit until 2016. Allegations of sexual harassment against the two men were found to be credible by company investigations, according to the lawsuit.”Rubin was allowed to quietly resign by defendants Larry Page and Sergey Brin after an internal investigation found the allegations of sexual harassment by Rubin to be credible,” according to the complaint, filed Thursday in California state court. “While at Google, Rubin is also alleged to have engaged in human sex trafficking — paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to women to be, in Rubin’s own words, ‘owned’ by him.”The lawsuit comes during a period of prominent figures in industries ranging from politics to entertainment being toppled by revelations of sexual harassment or sexual assault. In the tech industry, companies like Uber have wrestled with accounts of work environments fraught with varying degrees of sexual harassment. High-profile venture capitalists like Chris Sacca and Dave McClure have been unseated, as well, over sexual harassment allegations. Google paid Rubin $90 million after Page asked for his resignation following an allegation Rubin coerced a female employee into performing oral sex in a hotel room in 2013, according to a New York Times report in October.  Singhal stepped down as Uber’s senior vice president of engineering in 2017 after the ride-hailing company discovered he’d allegedly been accused of sexual harassment while he was employed at Google. He resigned from Google in 2016 after reportedly being accused of sexually harassing a female employee in a different department at Google.Rubin and Singhal have denied the allegations. The lawsuit accuses the board and executives of breach of fiduciary duty, unjust enrichment, abuse of power and corporate waste. Defendants include Page and Brin, former Chairman Eric Schmidt, CEO Sundar Pichai, former human resources director Laszlo Bock, chief legal officer David Drummond, Rubin and Singhal, among others.A similar lawsuit was filed Wednesday by Northern California Pipe Trades Pension Plan and Teamsters Local 272 Labor Management Pension Fund.In November, Google employees around the world staged a coordinated walkout to protest the company’s handling of the sexual harassment allegations. The walkout’s organizers said more than 20,000 full-time workers and contractors participated in the Nov. 1 protest.Some of the Google employees involved in the walkout released a statement Thursday in support of the lawsuits.”We have all the evidence we need that Google’s leadership does not have our best interests at heart,” they said.Google didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. 0 Post a comment iHate: CNET looks at how intolerance is taking over the internet. Solving for XX: The industry seeks to overcome outdated ideas about “women in tech.” Tech Industry Tagscenter_img The top 10 products of CES 2019 Share your voice 10 Photos Googlelast_img read more


In 59 Seconds But What Exactly Is A Partial Government Shutdown

Posted On Sep 2 2019 by

first_imgOur Party Politics experts Brandon Rottinghaus and Jay Aiyer explain what gets affected when a partial and temporary government shutdown takes place. Sharelast_img