Hamilton Police have released an image of two men wanted in the robberies of at least two convenience stores on the Mountain.The first incident occurred on June 3 at The Big Bear convenience at 580 Fennell Ave.Police say the two entered the store with a weapon around 4:30 a.m. and stole merchandise.Then around 2 a.m. on June 5, police were called to a robbery at the The Jug City Convenience Store at 1394 Upper Gage Ave.Police say two men entered the store and stole cigarettes and money.One of them had a weapon.The first man is said to be six-feet tall with a thin build and light brown skin. He was wearing a grey sweatshirt.The second is said to be shorter with a large build and was wearing a maroon-coloured sweatshirt.Police say the suspects could be involved in other robberies but investigators are still reviewing evidence. Anyone with information is asked to call police.
MOSCOW — Bolivian leader Evo Morales has visited Moscow for talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin on expanding economic ties.Speaking after talks in the Kremlin Thursday, Putin hailed the “strategic co-operation” between the two countries, including Russia’s investment in Bolivia’s natural gas fields and a project to build a Russian research nuclear reactor in the country.He said Russian companies are considering investments in lithium mining in Bolivia and plan to participate in the planned reconstruction of Santa Cruz airport.Both leaders noted that they have similar views on international issues and underlined their shared emphasis on respect for sovereignty and opposition to unilateral sanctions.Morales praised Putin for leading global efforts to “protect international order, oppose use of force in international affairs and prevent interference into other nations’ internal affairs.”The Associated Press
SALEM, Ore. — The Sackler family siphoned $11 billion from Purdue Pharma L.P., the Oxycontin maker the family owns and which is facing numerous lawsuits, in an attempt to evade “catastrophic liability,” Oregon’s attorney general said Friday.That amount is higher than some of the numbers other states have suggested, or what has previously been reported, Kristina Edmunson, spokeswoman for Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum, said in an email.Oregon filed a redacted lawsuit against Sackler family members in May. Then Rosenblum filed an unredacted version on Friday that specified the amount that officials in Oregon believe the Sackler family took from Purdue Pharma L.P., starving the company of cash and leaving it unable to satisfy its enormous legal liabilities.Purdue’s CEO has said the company could file for bankruptcy.The lawsuit filed in Multnomah County Circuit Court says the Sackler family realized by 2007 that Purdue faced “catastrophic liability” from criminal and civil investigations and more than 100 lawsuits.“Over the following ten years, while Purdue continued to illegally market OxyContin, the Sacklers milked $11 billion from Purdue Pharma L.P. In doing so, they starved the company of cash, stifled its growth, and left it unable to satisfy its enormous legal liabilities resulting from its continuous unlawful conduct,” the lawsuit says.Representatives of the Sackler family declined to comment on Oregon’s lawsuit.It alleges that between 2008 and 2018, the Sacklers directed Purdue to make nearly $11 billion in total distributions, including tax distributions, to “partnered companies, foreign entities, and ultimately to trusts established for the benefit of the Sackler families.”Purdue Pharma and the Sackler family, accused of playing a key role in triggering the U.S. opioid epidemic, have offered to settle about 2,000 lawsuits, but some state and local officials say the proposed deal doesn’t include enough money or accountability.Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey said she wants any settlement to include more money than the $10 billion to $12 billion offered by Purdue and the $3 billion offered from the Sacklers, an amount that represents just a portion of the family’s fortune.Rosenblum noted that Oregon in 2018 sued Purdue Pharma L.P. and Purdue Pharma Inc. on multiple claims for penalties and civil forfeiture that could exceed $1 billion.In the more recent lawsuit, she asked the court in Portland, Oregon, to declare that the companies and the other entities in the Sackler pharmaceutical enterprise are the “alter egos” of the Sacklers and that Oregon may “pierce the corporate and partnership veils” to recover any amounts owed to the state.Much of their money appears to be overseas. A review by The Associated Press found the Sacklers have shielded their wealth in a web of companies and trusts. Some are registered in offshore tax havens far from Purdue’s Connecticut headquarters.___Follow Andrew Selsky on Twitter at https://twitter.com/andrewselskyAndrew Selsky, The Associated Press
VAUGHAN, Ont. — Swiss Chalet Rotisserie & Grill will accept voice orders through the Google Assistant App.The restaurant chain owned by Cara Operations Ltd. says the voice order feature allows customers to place an order for pick up or delivery through the app.Users need to open the app and say “Ok Google, order from Swiss Chalet,” which will prompt them to select from menu options or reorder their last meal.Swiss Chalet’s announcement comes as the company has been making a concerted effort to integrate technology into its operations.The company partnered with Google’s navigation app Waze to allow commuters to order ahead through the app before hitting the road.It has also partnered with The Weather Network to use weather pattern data to serve up specific targeted ads to potential customers.
LONDON Shocking details emerged in court Friday about the slayings of three Six Nations residents found dead in the back of a pickup truck southwest of London last fall.Superior Court Justice Peter Hockin was told at the trial of Kirsten Bomberry, 36, of Six Nations, that the two men and one woman were found dead in the pickup truck’s bed on Bodkin Road, just outside Oneida Nation of the Thames, near London, and were killed days earlier at Bomberry’s home on Six Nations.Bomberry has pleaded not guilty to three counts of accessory after the fact to murder. And the question facing Hockin is: Why did Bomberry conceal evidence?In March, police announced three Six Nations residents – two men and a woman – had been charged with murder.On Friday, court was told in a synopsis by Middlesex County Crown attorney Joe Perfetto that the bodies were discovered by hunters on Nov. 4, 2018, just after 10 a.m. They were tied up with cords and ties, wrapped in blankets and covered with a tent canvas. Police and emergency crews were called to the scene and a coroner pronounced all three dead.Perfetto told Hockin that Melissa Trudi Miller, 37, who was seven months pregnant at the time of her death, had been cut in the neck and stabbed in the chest. Michael Shane Jamieson, 32, was shot in the chest. Alan Grant Porter, 33, died of multiple stab wounds to the face and neck.A witness told police that Bomberry told her details about the deaths, including that they happened at Bomberry’s house at the end of October 2018. The police believe it was the night of Oct. 29 and into Oct. 30.The bodies, the witness said, had been wrapped in blankets found at Bomberry’s house and several people helped load them into the back of the truck.Bomberry had a single-shot shotgun and a knife in a gym bag inside the truck of her vehicle. She had the witness retrieve them and put them by a fire pit to be buried on Bomberry’s property. The weapons were wrapped in a blanket, the witness told police.Later, the witness told police that Bomberry had re-buried the weapons off a highway. A police search turned up both the gun and the knife where the witness said they would be found.Perfetto said the witness told police that in the days after the homicides that she returned to Bomberry’s home. The flooring had been ripped out and “everything was gone from the living room.”The table, bed, couch and chair had been removed. There was a constant fire in the two fire pits on the property, which included a mobile home, a trailer and an abandoned house.Police searched the property and found parts of clothing and furniture in the pits. There was “a blood-like substance found.”Perfetto told the court there were a lot of cleaning products on the property.Bomberry was arrested on Nov. 23, 2018. She told police that Miller, Porter and Jamieson had been at her house, but denied being part of the homicides.“She claimed she last saw them walking down her driveway after asking them to leave the property,” Perfetto said.Later, she told police she buried the knife and the shotgun.The trial continues with arguments on Tuesday.Three people are in custody facing murder charges. Nicholas Shipman, 36, faces three counts of second-degree murder; Thomas Bomberry, 30, faces two counts of second-degree murder; and Jamie Beaver, 32, faces one count of second-degree firstname.lastname@example.org/JaneatLFPress
PORT BURWELL — The case of human remains found with a fridge near a Lake Erie bluff remained shrouded in mystery Friday, even as police laid a charge against a man from a nearby county.Four days after they were alerted to the find, Ontario Provincial Police said a Norfolk County man is charged with indignity to human remains, which under the Criminal Code means improperly or indecently interfering with or offering any indignity to a dead body or remains.How the remains ended up down the steep lakeside bluff in Port Burwell, a village southeast of St. Thomas getting ready for its busy summer season, was no closer to being publicly answered, however.The OPP wouldn’t answer questions about any relationship between the accused and the dead person.“There’s not going to be anything that evidenciary (released),” said Elgin OPP Const. Adam Crewdson. “What I can tell you right now is that (the accused) has been charged in connection to this investigation.”Related Criminologist slams OPP for ‘retrograde’ handling of death probe A body. A discarded fridge. A beach town on edge as tourist season looms Police lift body, refrigerator from beach near Port Burwell After social media reports surfaced this week about a body found in a freezer near the lake, an OPP helicopter separately lifted both human remains in a litter and what appeared to be a refrigerator from the area.The airlifts followed a heavy police presence in the Elgin County enclave, home to both cottages and a decommissioned Cold War-era Canadian submarine converted into a tourism attraction.Police have said there’s no threat to the public. That, combined with tight-lipped handling of the case, has drawn criticism from Michael Arntfield, a former London homicide investigator who says such a closed approach fuels speculation when engaging people can be more helpful.The OPP hasn’t said whether a homicide probe is underway, only that its criminal investigations branch is investigating with the Elgin OPP.In Port Burwell, the case has unnerved some residents.“I was super creeped out,” said Jaclyn Mann. “It kind of scares me to live here because I didn’t know what happened or who did it or who I should be afraid of.”“It’s awful,” said Bob Grounlund.”It’s not good. A lot of bad stuff happens around this area, right. Why? I don’t know, but it seems to be like a magnet.”The OPP has canvassed local businesses looking for surveillance video footage. One owner said he released footage to the OPP Thursday.Samuel Waters, 22, is charged and is to appear in court in St. Thomas on Wednesday.email@example.com
Handout Residents in the community of Port aux Basques in Newfoundland are demanding justice for Mittens, a 13-year-old domestic cat that was allegedly decapitated and tossed into the ocean. Handout The cat’s remains were allegedly placed in a large plastic bag and then tossed over a bridge in Grand Bay West, a stretch of sandy beaches west of Port aux Basques, the woman said.“I got as many details out of her mouth until I was no longer her friend,” she said.A volunteer diver searched for Mittens’ remains but came up empty.As news of Mittens’ gruesome demise spread, residents clamoured on social media for police to take action against animal cruelty. More than 200 people reportedly gathered on the shores of Grand Bay West last Friday evening for a candlelight vigil, which was livestreamed on Facebook.“As everyone is aware, our small community is absolutely devastated beyond our words. I had the honour of grooming Mittens and I will tell you all personally that he was one of the sweetest, gentlest souls I ever had the pleasure of meeting,” Delury said, staring into the dim twilight.“We gather as one to raise our voices and we are only going to get louder until these animal cruelty laws are changed.”There’s outrage, to put it mildlyLocal pastor Rev. Patricia Ritchie led the group in a moment of prayer.“We have gathered this night to remember a small creature of yours, Mittens, and to all animals everywhere who have been abused,” Ritchie said. “Lord, we can only ask that, as you are the judge, that there will be a final judgment day for any and all who abuse or hurt any animals.”After singing “Imagine,” several people in the crowd, including children, began to holler: “Justice for Mittens!” They then gathered along the bridge where they created a makeshift memorial consisting of candles, flowers and teddy bears.The Channel-Port aux Basques RCMP announced late Tuesday that they had charged Peter Rossiter, 51, of O’Regan’s and Jody Anderson, 38, of Cape Ray under the Criminal Code with injuring or endangering an animal, as well as causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.Cpl. Jolene Garland said police had received a complaint on Sept. 14 from someone “alleging the violent death of a cat with a weapon.” The cat’s remains have not been recovered, she said.The accused are not in custody and are scheduled to appear in court in December. None of the allegations against them have been proven in court.• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Twitter: Mittens, the cat. According to Delury, Mittens’ long-time owner — a retired Molson beer delivery man with a “special heart” for animals and who lived alone — passed away this summer. The local shelter took in Mittens, groomed him and then placed him in a temporary foster home.The foster parent had fostered before and was friends with Mittens’ owner, Delury said. She sent updates to the rescue group with cute pictures of Mittens.Then a few weeks ago, things turned violent, local residents say.A woman, who asked not to be identified because she is the person who made the complaint to police, told the National Post she received a call Sept. 14 from Mittens’ foster parent who said that a male acquaintance of hers had killed Mittens a few days earlier with an axe in her bathroom. He had apparently been annoyed by a small bell around Mittens’ collar.“How gruesome is that?” the woman said. “I don’t understand what went wrong. … You trust someone. You call these people friends. There was absolutely no reason.” They turned out in droves on a Friday night to mourn the loss of a “beautiful innocent little soul.”Wiping away tears, they lit candles and sang the words to John Lennon’s “Imagine.”But now a western Newfoundland and Labrador community’s grief has turned into resolve as they demand justice for Mittens — a 13-year-old black and white domestic cat that was allegedly decapitated in the home of his caretaker and then dumped into the Atlantic Ocean.As of Tuesday, more than 7,000 people had signed an online petition calling for police action. Hours later they got it, with two people criminally charged.“There’s outrage, to put it mildly. How can someone do that?” said Shannon Delury, a groomer with a local volunteer-run animal rescue group based in Port aux Basques. “You can never get in someone’s head, right?”Story continues belowThis advertisement has not loaded yet,but your article continues below. Handout Residents in the community of Port aux Basques in Newfoundland are demanding justice for Mittens, a 13-year-old domestic cat that was allegedly decapitated and tossed into the ocean.